Friday, December 15, 2006

tHE pHILOSOPHY oF kITING-tO tHE 10tH pOWER

Bread ends and livery sausage, Quaker oats boiled to placental mush, spooned into the scullery of my mouth with a tuning-fork. Day-old bread is a luxury, as weeks, sometimes months pass unnoticed as the food in my larder turns bootblack-black, frostbitten toes curled into necrotic wingtips. Philosophy pays 5 cents less than a turnip-cart of advice, which amounts to nothing, nil, zero to the absolute tenth power of one. Sheep’s brains siphoned through curd-cloth into a rusty tin cup, the sort used by almsmen and derelicts. I think I’ll eat my foot today, the left one, as I’m a much better hopper on the right. Or fly a kite, perhaps, made from garbage bags and coat hangers scotched together with mason’s tape; kiting acumen to the tenth power of one, maybe higher.

3 comments:

John MacDonald said...

if this wasn't true i'd be laughing

Stephen Rowntree said...

I am, so please go ahead and join in, makes for a Becketty drama, Godot tree and all; which I hear is quite good, either steeped or eaten with cocktail onions.

John MacDonald said...

Lucky, bring me some laughter... Now.

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
"Poetry is the short-circuiting of meaning between words, the impetuous regeneration of primordial myth". Bruno Schulz