Monday, August 21, 2006

tHE fREEDOM oF eXILE*

I am in exile, Genet, Goytisolo, Levi, Joyce, Beckett, I am in good company. I suppose I would have it no other way, being who I am and why I am. Exile is a relief, a reprieve from the day to day drudgery of being in something, the complicity of being part of something, a fraction of something. Freedom has a cost, thought I rarely feel or experience freedom, the myth of freedom. Freedom is for those in chains, those who live in serfdom, in the belief that there is a freedom to begin with, a ‘best of all possible worlds’. We shackle ourselves to concepts and ideas, to ideologies and machines, in the belief that concepts, ideas, ideologies and machines create freedom, allow us to live unfettered, liberated from the very machines we guild to restrain, imprison, and contain ourselves. Freedom is not found in machines, but in the absence of machines; in the freedom that exile invites and encourages.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
"Poetry is the short-circuiting of meaning between words, the impetuous regeneration of primordial myth". Bruno Schulz